Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The "perfect" storm.....


As I drove to church Sunday morning, I was thinking about what a beautiful day it was, but noticed it was a little windy. As I left church, once again, I noticed it was windy, but didn't think much about it. By 2:30 in the afternoon, it was so windy, I was getting nervous. Outdoor patio stuff started flying around and as we were watching Riley's dad build her new playset, we watched their trampoline start to bend right in half. I became even more nervous. Vickey the lady I live with decided she should run to the store and get some bread and stuff that she figured we would need, since the electric was off, so I told her I would go with her. As we drove to town, we saw a snapped electrical wire. By the time we parked at Target, I was scared to death. The wind was literally shaking her Suburban so hard it almost seemed like it would roll it over. Traffic lights were out and hanging by a thread, trees were down, signs were bent in half. As we drove home, we had to take several detours because of trees across the road on top of wires.


I was pretty nervous and hoping that a tree wouldn't topple on us. Shingles and siding were flying off houses, and it was obvious that a lot of damage was being done.


Thankfully we made it home safely to a dark house. We grilled some meat on the grill, which we stacked stuff around to keep it lit, and had a good time considering there was no electricity.

Around 9:00 it started to die down and it was over. The next day, I took the kids out to try and find some lunch, and I had Kyle take pictures of trees that we saw on our way there.

All in all it was a pretty crazy day. The thing that amazed me the most is that it was just pure wind almost the whole time. No rain, no lightning and thunder, just a massive wind. Pretty crazy. Our power was out for three whole days. I have gained a new appreciation for hot water, and electricity, refrigerators, etc...

2 comments:

becky said...

WOW!! My dad and I were talking with a guy whose son lives in that area somewere and he said that same thing about being windy really bad, but not rain or anything. That would be scary, glad everyone/thing is fine.

Maggie said...

Holly...yes, that was scary. We just got electricity this morning 2am...I have honestly never seen anything like I saw this past weekend and honestly dont think I ever want to see again. Have a great week!