Thursday, January 8, 2009

New year=changes


Brooke--11 months


Ashley and Brooke



Ashley 5 1/2




Riley, Vitaly, and Ashley. Vitaly is the new little guy that I am going to watch part time.




So the new year is supposed to induce you to make changes, right? Well....thats what I am gonna do! First thing I did, was quit one of my jobs. Let me explain....I have learned during my years of being a nanny, that the critical part of being a nanny is your relationship with the parents! Not so much the kids. I was so blessed with the Kerr family. Diane and I hit it off like a charm, and she is one of my dearest friends now. I love her kids as if they were my own. I have also hit it off very well with Vicky (the lady I live with) and like her kids a lot, so that job is going well. The other family (Ashley and Brooke's fam) I work for are nice people, but we never really got past the stranger stage, we just kind of stayed in the employee/employer stage. I think I am so used to working for people who just add me right into their family, I was uncomfortable working for someone who didn't. On top of that, they had some pretty strict regimens they wanted me to follow with their kids which was hard to do with the other family as well, and frankly, they didn't make a lot of sense to me. So, I told them they should find someone that is better suited for what they want. I am kind of tired of being a nanny, I want to get into a "real" job. I don't think people give us nannies enough credit for the job that we do. Most people see our job as "easy" and sometimes it is. But there is actually a lot of hard work that goes into raising other peoples kids. A lot of it is emotional.....at least for me....and I think I am kind of worn out with it. So I am working on figuring out something that I want to do and when I find it I am going to go for it. In the meantime, a friend has a friend that needs me to watch her 18 month-old son (the little boy in the pics above) and hopefully that will get me through financially until I figure out what else I can do. Vicky is a nurse and she is keeping an eye out for a job that would work out timing wise, so that is how I am thinking-- for now anyway. So if you all ever think of me, I'd love some prayers to help me find my way. Thanks! :-)

6 comments:

melissa emmorey said...

Hey, i can't belive how much ashley and brooke look alike in this picture! New guy is really cute!!!

Kelly S said...

Hi Holly! I have added you to my prayer list and promise to pray for you. I remember going through a similar situation. Change is never easy, but you're obviously feeling the Lord's leading and with him guiding you, you can't go wrong! When I was going through a time like that, I carried the verse with me "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go, I will guide thee with mine eye" - And he did! I was frustrated at first with the way God was directing my life, but now I see how messed up I would have been if I hadn't followed his leading! Keep encouraged! - and wait for the Lord's perfect timing!

Anonymous said...

vitaly is so cute! love him. his mom is so nice too!

matannjess said...

Holly, I can totally agree with you that people don't realize the importance of being a nanny. Full time parenting is a HUGE job. That's why many people pay others to do it. May the Lord lead you as you search for something different in your life.

Betty Truesdale said...

Hey Holly! LBA is always looking for good teachers. Maybe you should talk to them.

Betty Truesdale said...

Just a degree, which you have! I think you would love it. They also have a pre-school now, and it is in a really neat building that they re-did. I don't have any idea where they are right now, but the administrator left mid year and his wife had been teaching also. There is a board member, Mr. Holt who is trying to help out in the Administrators office for the rest of this year. You can talk to Ona, she is aware of all the details. Would love it if it worked out. Love you, Grandma Betty