Tuesday, May 8, 2007

So you think you have a big dog.....

So once again morning finds me sitting at work with nothing to do. So I am going to bore you with some details about some doggys that I love. When I first drove up the Kerr Family driveway, I was shocked at the size of the "dogs" looking at me through the fence. As I started work (a total non-dog person by the way) and I became enthralled with this breed of dog. I soon found out that the Irish Wolfhound may be big and hairy, but they were the gentlest of animals. They don't realize their size and as you can see they still think they are lapdogs.

Riley was born about a year after I started working at the Kerr's and he became my baby. He has the best personality and if I could I would adopt him as my own. He does love my boss Diane more than me, but I think I am second in line after her. Wolfhounds are from Old Ireland and in the old days they were used in battle to pull men off their horses. The were also used to hunt wolves. Riley is very tall well over six feet on his hind legs, but he is pretty skinny. His father was huge. We are talking 230 pounds in his prime. HUGE!! Anyway, my boss gave me my own puppy from one of their litters but since I live in an apartment, I gave him to my dad.

My dad is a huge dog lover and he already had his own dog, an airdale, Alister. Ali was my dad's pride and joy, and he was positive that no other dog could come close to his affections as Ali did.
Well, it didn't take long, but my dad soon figured out that he could love both dogs--A LOT! Don't ever get him started talking, he may never stop. I wish I had a pic of Dad with his Wolfhound Sullivan, but I don't have one on this computer. Anyway, just wanted to share my present world of dogs, and a little about the amazing Wolfhound breed.
















1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love to see pictures of you and the wolfhounds. Their size just blows me away!