Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Oh, Be Careful......

Carrie Carter put a music video of this song on her page a few weeks back. Not being a huge listener of ANY type of music, I had not heard it before. I was immediately impressed with it. The words are so relevant to our lives today in this materialistic, me first world that we live in. As I have gotten older and have struggled here and there with my own salvation, I have learned that sin is not a sudden thing that just overpowers you and takes you into a deep dark hole. Instead, it is a slow, steady walk down a road that has destruction at the end of it. The devil is no dummy, after all, he is the best deceiver in the universe. He knows that if he can get us started on that road to destruction, with something that seems harmless and "not too bad!", than before we know it, we are in way over our heads. But the other thing I have found out is that God is ALWAYS there ready to forgive. Isn't that amazing? Even if I make a clear, knowledgeable, wrong choice, when I humble myself and ask for forgiveness, He forgives! Another thing that has really struck me is the unforgiveness of other believers when someone does make a wrong choice. How is it, that we as believers think that we are above God when it comes to forgiving someone? Think about it. God forgives all manner of sins and yet sometimes we as humans will not let one of our fellow brothers or sisters in Christ live down wrong choices that they have made? How dare we?!!! We are human, and in that humaness we make mistakes....all of us. And some of us, even leave God and make choices we know are wrong. But if God is willing to forgive, shouldn't we forgive as well? Is it really our place to make sure they "pay" for their wrong choices? I am pretty sure there enough consequences of sin, that the sinner doesn't need the rejection of the people that are supposed to be their spiritual family. Anyway, enough of my soapbox! My church had this song as the special music after a wonderful message by our pastor. The presence of God was so strong, it was absolutely amazing. Even though I was very familiar with the song by then, it was even more powerful reading the words as they flashed across the screen. I challenge anyone who reads this little note to read the words and apply them to your life. Make sure you aren't on the slow descent down the wrong path.

"Slow Fade"

Be careful little eyes what you see

It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings

Be careful little feet where you go

For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away

It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray

Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid

When you give yourself away

People never crumble in a day

It's a slow fade, it's a slow fade

Be careful little ears what you hear

When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near

Be careful little lips what you say

For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away

It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray

Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid

When you give yourself away

People never crumble in a day

The journey from your mind to your hands

Is shorter than you're thinking

Be careful if you think you stand

You just might be sinking

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away

It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray

Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid

When you give yourself away

People never crumble in a day

Daddies never crumble in a day

Families never crumble in a day

Oh be careful little eyes what see

Oh be careful little eyes what you see

For the Father up above is looking down in love

Oh be careful little eyes what you see

1 comment:

Kim M. said...

What a great post, Holly!

I came over here to look at baby shower pictures and I was pleased to see this post too!

I have been grappling with this very issue for several weeks and have posted some things about it on my blog.

I have even been asking my pastor a lot of "hard questions" (bless his heart).

What got me started was studying Dietrich Boenhoeffer, seeing a documentary about POW torture during Vietnam, seeing a friend post about Deitrich Boenhoffer's execution (him again!), and then Obama getting elected. Eek!


You are so right! It all comes down to personal digging and examining ourselves and keeping our eyes off people.

I told my pastor that if I watched people or let what people say to me, I'd be eternally lost! He agreed wholeheartedly. People are so flawed & sinful!

Jesus is the only one who can truly judge us or know our hearts! It's a trap of Satan to listen that what flawed people say or the hurtful things they do.

It's his best tool isn't it?

Anyway, I am so glad you posted this.